Key Dates from School & Local History
|1870: Ngunguru School was first opened as a Church Missionary school, to both Maori and Pakeha||1879: Alfred Hammond Mason officially took up his post Sept 14 as the first teacher||1890: Ngunguru School was constituted as a public school|
|1892: Captain Shoebridge takes the first load of coal down the river||1895: School had 35 pupils, many who rode along river daily to school. There was no road.||1913: Mill closes, however now there are settled faming families rather than itinerant sawyers.|
|1914: Tutukaka school opens||1923: The first school building was replaced|
|1931: Authorities recognised that the little old school was inadequate (headmaster Mr S.L.Stretton)|
BOT architect reported the building was substandard and unsuited for a grade school, no electricity.
|1933: Early morning fire in the school’s woodshed.||1938: New building complete, old building went to ‘top of Pukenui Rd’||1940: Asst Head Mrs V Donaldson raised money for an asphalt playing area. Group trip to Wellington for students by train (the first many had seen)|
|1948: Flush toilets for the first time!||1956: A road was finally built to enable easier access to the school|